The Chinatown Heritage Centre is the gateway for all visitors to trace the footsteps of Singapore's early pioneers and discover the personal stories of people who made Chinatown their home.
Located within three beautifully-restored shophouses on Pagoda Street, the Chinatown Heritage Centre is the only place in Singapore that has recreated the original interiors of its shophouse tenants in the 1950s, offering a rare glimpse into the lives of Chinatown's early residents.
Visitors will get to step into the humble homes of Chinatown's early residents, rebuilt with the memories of many who had lived, worked and grown up in such cubicles. These small 'eight by eight' living quarters were simply furnished and every object tells a story, providing an insight into their struggles and sacrifices, aspirations and disappointments, love and joy.
The Chinatown Heritage Centre also traces the journey of Singapore's early pioneers who left their villages in China and made their way to Nanyang, the southern seas. They were driven by famine, floods and unrest, and came to Singapore with the hope of earning a living and seeking a better life.
New foreign sights, sounds and smells greeted the Chinese immigrants also known as sinkheh (meaning 'new guest' in Hokkien dialect) when they arrived in Singapore. Disembarking at the piers, they would have seen labourers and traders at work – Armenians, Europeans, Jews, Arabs, Parsis, Bugis, Indians – just to name a few. It would have been their first time seeing someone of another ethnicity. Most of the Chinese immigrants settled south of the Singapore River, giving birth to Chinatown.
Write a review
In order to write a review, you must first login.
INFORMATION ON TICKETS
- After payment, retrieve electronic tickets (PDF files) from "Tickets" section.
- A multimedia guide comes with the admission tickets.
- Please present the electronic tickets (PDF files) from your mobile for entry.
- The tickets (PDF files) are valid for 1 to 2 months, please check the date of validity printed on your tickets. No amendments and extension of validity of tickets are allowed.
THINGS TO NOTE
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18. Some areas of the Attraction may not be suitable for children of certain ages and CHCPL reserves the right to refuse access to such areas to Visitors under any recommended age limit.
- Adult-accompanied child under 7 years no admission fee will be charged.
- Operating Hours: 9 AM to 8 PM daily.
- Closed every 1st Monday of the month.
48 Pagoda Street Singapore 059207 Located near Chinatown MRT Station NE4/DT19 (exit A to Pagoda Street)â€‹
If you need assistance, kindly drop our travel consultants a personal message at our Facebook Page: WeekendGoWhere Singapore. Alternatively, you can contact our office directly at (65) 6358 4231.
By purchasing your tickets with WeekendGoWhere Singapore, you are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions listed here.
Cancellation: Once confirmed, no cancellation may be made. Opening hours subject to change due to special events, without prior notice.